For many rhinoplasty patients, getting a nose job has been something they have dreamed of for years. It is only natural, therefore, to feel excited and be filled with anticipation in the days and weeks leading up to the surgery. However, it is also important that men and women considering a rhinoplasty think about the postoperative period as well, including what to expect immediately following the surgery and what all the recovery period will entail. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Christopher Khorsandi, Chief of Plastic Surgery at VIP Plastic Surgery in Las Vegas, NV, is highly experienced in the nuances and complexities of the rhinoplasty procedure and takes great care to ensure that each patient’s surgery and recovery goes as smoothly as possible.
While the risks and side effects associated with a rhinoplasty are generally minimal, it is helpful to be prepared for what you may experience during and after your procedure. Some of the most commonly experienced side effects after a nose job include:
- Pain: Rhinoplasty patients should expect some level of discomfort after their procedure, but this usually only lasts a few days and is well tolerated. Dr. Khorsandi will prescribe medication to help with the pain, and most patients are able to switch to an over-the-counter remedy after a couple of days.
- Swelling: Swelling is a perfectly normal and unavoidable side effect of rhinoplasty. During the procedure, the delicate tissue, cartilage, and bones in your nose will undergo fairly significant manipulation and trauma, causing swelling in the body’s effort to heal the damage. Most of the swelling subsides after the first week or two, and Dr. Khorsandi may recommend the use of ice packs or other methods to help reduce this symptom.
- Bruising: In addition to swelling, rhinoplasty patients should expect to see bruising for the first 7-10 days on average. For some patients, particularly older men and women, this symptom may last longer. Bruising around the eyes, or black eyes, is a normal and common side effect of rhinoplasty.
- Bleeding: As the blood vessels in the nose attempt to heal after surgery, some patients may experience a small amount of nasal bleeding. This should resolve after the first couple of days, but it is important to call your doctor if this symptom continues.
- Numbness: As with many other surgeries, including facelift and even breast augmentation, it is normal for patients to experience numbness or tingling as the damaged serves attempt to heal and relocate. For rhinoplasty patients, this symptom usually manifests itself as numbness around the upper lip. This may last several weeks or even months, but in most cases patients regain full sensation after a rhinoplasty. In some very rare cases, the nerve damage and numbness may be prolonged or even permanent.
- Infection: Though it is not necessarily a common side effect of rhinoplasty, infection can certainly be considered a risk after the procedure. It is essential that patients practice proper hygiene and care, as instructed by their surgeon, as well as take prescribed antibiotics following their nose job in order to minimize the risk of infection.
Generally speaking, the majority of rhinoplasty patients tolerate the procedure and the recovery period very well, though there are side effects to be expected. The best way to reduce your risk of prolonged side effects, dissatisfaction with your results, and other complications is to choose a highly experienced, qualified, and certified plastic surgeon. Dr. Khorsandi and the exceptional team at VIP Plastic Surgery place patient care, safety, and satisfaction at the top of their priority list and will do everything possible to ensure a positive experience for each and every rhinoplasty patient at their Las Vegas office.
Am I a good candidate for a nose job?
Most men and women can be considered candidates for a rhinoplasty, but there are some criteria that must be met before undergoing the procedure, including:
- In good health
- Realistic expectations for the surgery
- Over the age of 18
The best way to determine if you are an ideal candidate for rhinoplasty is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon. Call our state-of-the-art VIP Plastic Surgery office in Las Vegas, NV to schedule your consultation with Dr. Christopher Khorsandi today, and take the first step toward putting your best face forward with a rhinoplasty.